Tuesday, December 28, 2004

my picks for top 2004 music tracks

After giving you the mass-market view, here are my top music picks for the year. Sound samples will open with Windows Media Player.

Steve’s Top 22 Songs 2004

1. Ch-Check It Out – Beastie Boys Listen
Hands down, my favorite single of the year

2. You’re My Everything – Anita Baker Listen
A fine return to form

3. I Can’t Wait – Sleepy Brown (featuring OutKast) Listen
This was so phat and catchy, I can’t believe radio didn’t drive this one in the ground.

4. Lean Back – Terror Squad Listen
Makes me think of New Jersey. I don’t know why.

5. How Does It Feel – Anita Baker Listen
The hook is irresistible.

6. Lover’s Ghetto – Angie Stone Listen
Can you believe she sampled the R&B group Dynasty? Damn, that’s reaching back!

7. My Boo – Usher & Alicia Keys Listen
2004’s power couple!

8. This Love – Maroon 5 Listen
Sounds like Muppet music, but cool Muppet music.

9. Little Red Shoes - Loretta Lynn Listen
I can’t say enough about this album, ‘Van Lear Rose.’

10. Move Your Feet - Junior Senior Listen
This was a great dance track, even if it came from the “Queer Eye” soundtrack.

11. Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand Listen
Enjoy them now; they won’t be around for long.

12. Golden – Jill Scott Listen
So beautiful and life-affirming. I love this woman.

13. 99 Problems – Jay-Z Listen
The sample is what makes the song.

14. I Hate Everything – George Strait Listen
Much love to GS for doing country right for over two decades.

15. We Don’t Care – Kanye West Listen
His album allowed us to think outside the hip-hop box for once.

16. (tie) Me, Myself, and I – Beyoncé Listen,
The Closer I Get To You (with Luther Vandross) – Beyoncé Listen
It wasn’t truly Beyoncé’s year (but she had a hell of a 2003), but these songs were awesome.

17. Boston – Lalah Hathaway Listen
I love this woman. Where’s she been?

18. Soul Child – Maysa Listen
I love this woman, too. This is a great song.

19. Don’t Say Nuthin’ – The Roots Listen
It’s like the “Knight Rider” theme updated.

20. Float On - Modest Mouse Listen
Inescapable, but great anyhow.

21. Lola's Theme - Shape:UK Listen
House, anyone. It’s over the top, but I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment